God Motivation is the state wherein the Christian is fueled solely by God and toward God to the glory of God.
(more here)

Saturday, October 25, 2008

God Motivation in "God Motivation"

In putting together "God Motivation" I have not always been God motivated. Something is wrong with that picture. There are continually temptations for me to write in such a way that I will win the approval of men, to think about the subject in such a way that I praise myself for thinking of it, or to put up a new post each week in order to maintain a certain frequency. The following is an examination of these temptations which have led me to sin and the consideration of remedies against them.

I love praise from people and am not satisfied with only the Lord's approval. But when I seek both I lose the one more important. Quite frankly, it is easier to win favor with man than with God. The former can be achieved with a mask on, the latter only through nakedness and abandonment of all unto Christ who clothes me. To be honest, I find that in writing on the topic of "God Motivation" I all too often wear the mask. I want to be seen as humble, wise, persuasive, witty, resolved, and zealous. And even when I seek to abandon these pursuits, I have a hope that man will see me as pure in my motives. Ah yes, my pride goes deep. My God motivation needs purified lest I be much like the Pharisees. Jesus saw straight to their hearts, just as He sees into mine. He spoke against groups like this as recorded in Matthew 6:16-18, And when you fast, do not look gloomy like the hypocrites, for they disfigure their faces that they may be seen by others. Truly, I say to you, they have received their reward. But when you fast, anoint your head and wash your face, that your fasting may not be seen by others but by your Father who is in secret. And your Father who sees in secret will reward you. Tricky, tricky! With faces likely to the ground as if to act humble, and sporting a disheveled appearance so as to let people know that they weren't thinking at all about themselves, they walked about before others. And to some extent it was probably working...on men. They received the reward they were after. But if we are to do something that is to be an act of devotion to God (like fasting or writing about godly things), we're not to do it for attention unless we're satisfied with an earthly reward. I want "God Motivation" to be God motivated, that the secret One may see my secret heart and be pleased. I want what He has to offer by way of eternal reward.

Now the second temptation, namely, pride in "God Motivation" as a good idea. "What a novel concept! What a theme with originality!" Such have been the contemplations of my secret heart on more than one occasion. But I am quickly humbled when I think about the truth of the matter for the subject at hand is really neither of the two. What has been is what will be, and what has been done is what will be done, and there is nothing new under the sun. Is there a thing of which it is said, "See, this is new?" It has been already in the ages before us (Ecclesiastes 1:9-10). I find this so quickly to be true as I consider all that have influenced my thinking and really all who have walked in the faith before me. Take for instance John Piper's ministry theme, "Desiring God." "God Motivation" is much the same (only far less developed), just with new packaging. But even if there is a form of newness when it comes to "my idea," there is still no room for boasting before the God who is the Giver of everything good, true, helpful, etc. (James 1:17). A God motivated attitude toward "God Motivation" is one in which all praise for such a subject is His. And when I am God motivated in thinking about this truth, I find that my joy is far more complete because everything is then in it's proper place.

Finally, thoughts on posting each week for the sake of putting up new posts. I must say that I do take some delight in disciplines for they are easy ways to see that nothing of importance is left out of a schedule. "God Motivation" has for me been a subject that I have committed to thinking through on a regular basis, and I do believe that God has directed me to do just that. But I again must confess that it has not always been in obedience to Him that I have written on the subject. I have given thought instead to putting up a new post each week so that I might keep my schedule (and of course not "disappoint" my...two...faithful readers!--see 1st temptation) and develop the subject. But I am challenged to be more led by the Spirit (Galatians 5:18) in these times instead of motivated by some law that I have set for myself. The Spirit always leads us in God's will and toward God Himself, making God motivation possible in the first place. In such leading is where I must rest and write.

Lord God, please keep me from the great temptations of seeking the praise of man, considering myself independently wise or creative, and acting habitually apart from the leading of your Holy Spirit. Help me to see You as my Reward, the Author of all things good, and the One I need to show me what it means to be God motivated and write about such. Amen.

6 comments:

Nancy said...

To be humble... It's a good lesson we all need. A very dear friend (and mentor) often stated, "What's your motive?" Those are wise words that I have to reflect on more often that I'd like to admit. :-)

Love you!

Benjamin Murphy said...

Seth, I really appreciate this post, your honesty, and your self-examination. I struggle with this very same issue when I write, and I have struggled with pride in other activities as well. I have thought about not writing at all because I do not want to be motivated by pride, but then I think of men whose writing has meant so much in my life, and I hope that I God will use what I have written to encourage and strengthen others. Do we stop writing all together to squelch the sin of pride? Or do we keep writing and ask God to correct our wrongful motivation? Would you be my partner in prayer over this motivation of pride in blogging. I will pray for you, and I would appreciate your prayers as well. To God be the glory! Which reminds me, I went to the funeral of a dear 86 year old lady today who raised about $50,000 for the Pregnancy Resource Center after she was 70 years old. Her name was Eleanor Horine. She chose the music for her own funeral, and the last song was the Hallelujah Chorus. Everyone stood up, and I started to cry. How fitting. My direction was directed away from Eleanor, such a sweet saint of God that she was and to the one who deserves all the glory for the life that she lived. I could not hold back the tears. Hallelujah! Praise the Lord for her life! And He shall reign forever and ever!

Benjamin Murphy said...

Seth, I was inspired by your blog to post something I had written while I was in seminary about pride. Ironically, I was tempted by pride as I was writing it. I also added a tribute to our God for the life of Eleanor Horine and I guess a tribute to the way she ended her funeral. http://spectacleson.blogspot.com/. Thanks for the inspiration and the reminder.

Anonymous said...

Hi Seth - Just wanted you to know that you can add me to the list of faithful readers of your blog :) Your mom had forwarded it to me some time ago. I have just never left any comments! I don't have anything to add to what you've already said. I appreciate your openness and honesty.

Sally

Seth said...

Ben, I would like to pray for you as well regarding the sin of pride when blogging! Thanks too for sharing that story about someone who finished well, supporting an essential ministry in IL and displaying her devotion to her Lord. It's good to have examples of lives well lived.

Seth said...

Sally, thanks for the encouraging note:) God bless you guys as you make final preparations for the wedding!