God Motivation is the state wherein the Christian is fueled solely by God and toward God to the glory of God.
(more here)

Saturday, October 11, 2008

God Motivation in Giving

Last Sunday we were blessed once again to have one of our elders bring to us the Word of God in our stewardship series addressing the church's financial surplus. He put much emphasis on blessing others with our abundance and spent a significant time talking about those who are in great need in the world, living at a level of poverty that will very well lead to their starvation in the near future (and at this moment). He gave the statistics that many of us have probably heard at one point or another, but somehow as these numbers were combined with his reading of Matthew 25:31-46, my heart was more gripped with conviction to give than perhaps ever before. I asked him later, recalling that he spoke of organizations that are doing a great job helping the poor face to face, what ones he was referring to. Specifically, I wanted to know which groups were ones that he thought did the best job in both meeting physical needs and in sharing the gospel. One that came out with prominence as we talked was World Vision. And then after talking with Gen some this week on how much we might give, she also brought up the Pregnancy Resource Center where she volunteers once a week. The center offers abortion alternatives, gives practical aid to new moms while educating them on motherhood, and shares the gospel with every client who will listen. They are always in need of further funding, but do so much to offer life both in the present and eternal sense. We decided to give half of the gift there; what a blessing it is to have a like-minded, further perspective-giving wife!

But returning to the issue in general...besides the fact that there are many needs in the world, why give? Here are some of the things that God was impressing upon my heart and mind over the course of this week:

1.) I do not want to be found "saying" to Jesus on the day of judgment, "Look at my savings account, Lord!" Not only do I think He would be greatly unimpressed, but I fear that I would look all too much like the goats who did not take care of "Jesus" when they saw Him in need. Similarly, just before this passage in Matthew 25, the servant who had been given the one talent from his master was greatly punished for not multiplying it, a multiplication that should have been for eternal purposes if we understand anything of the context. I so want to hear Jesus say, "Well done good and faithful servant!," and not "People died and that without knowing Me for the sake of you feeling secure in your financial stability."

2.) I have been struck with an increased fear of the temptation to sin that comes with prosperity. Last night as I was reading a bit of John Owen, this was addressed. "Prosperity and temptation go together; yea, prosperity is a temptation, many temptations, and that because without eminent supplies of grace it is apt to cast a soul into a frame and temper exposed to any temptation, and provides it with fuel and food for all." It is not that Owen was against having money but just that it can be so very dangerous if we find our security in it and use it for any opportunities to sin. It can provide a great platform for arrogance, frivolousness, or the slighting of others. We are all too willing to stand upon wealth as if it strengthens the soul and gives us what we need for a full life, even at others' expense. Mankind will continue to buy the lie of "happiness in wealth" until he is willing to give all that He has unto the Lord who knows what to do with money. I fear the temptation of loving riches and also the blindness that might creep into my life should I store up wealth for myself. I desperately want to be God motivated, seeing Him clearly and sensing the Spirit's promptings. God within and God without.

3.) Finally, I could hear some arguing against being too generous today because of the "bind" that our economy is in right now. But if the doom and gloom that is being prophesied actually comes true and our money ends up being essentially valueless (or gone without being spent), what better time to give? Of course, there have been plenty of prophesies that haven't come true as well. Only time will tell and only God fully knows. It seems that I better be faithful today, listening to what He says.

Sovereign Lord, please be my motivation in managing all that You have entrusted to me. Guard me from temptations to horde, to grow cold to needs, to live as if being financially "set" is a good life goal. Help me to love well, to work hard, and to trust that You, my Motivation, will ultimately provide for the needs of my family. You have so graciously done this already and I trust in Your continual care. And Lord, please use the gifts that we give to bless in such a way that Your glory is beheld in great increasing measure. Glorify Your name, Lord! Amen.

2 comments:

Nancy said...

This thought came to me the other day while pondering the state of the economy and observing those who are truly feeling panic over their situation:

What if? What if you had to sacrifice everything material? What if the country experienced the same crisis during the great depression? What if it (the crisis) actually improved our country?

I love giving back to the Lord because He gave me more than I deserve and I hope others will be touched by His hand in whatever way He desires. I have not decreased any of my tithing during this time but find that sacrificing in other areas is much more satisfying.

What a joy it must be to have your church experiencing an over abundance in giving! Especially in small town America! Now that's a message that people should hear. I have been praying that God will use your gifts to further His Kingdom!

Love ya!

Seth said...

Love you too Aunt Nancy! Looking forward to seeing you tomorrow:)