God Motivation is the state wherein the Christian is fueled solely by God and toward God to the glory of God.
(more here)

Monday, September 12, 2011

God Motivation and the Worm Appointment

But when dawn came up the next day, God appointed a worm that attacked the plant, so that it withered (Jonah 4:7).  I don't think it's accurate to say that God teases people, but in this instance it almost sounds like He was.  He had appointed a great fish for Jonah's rescue after a bout of serious disobedience.  He graciously later appointed a nice shade plant following some intensely hateful words from Jonah.  And here he appoints a little worm to kill the plant Jonah was so enjoying.

I wonder if Jonah thought that the story was pretty much over after his preaching was done and he had his own pleasant little resting spot on a hill outside the city.  He had tried to run from God in the beginning only to realized that such wasn't a good idea.  Then he got all up in arms over the fact that the Ninevites actually listened to his preaching; this yielded a bit of firm questioning from God.  So then when the plant came, maybe Jonah thought that the Lord was finally back to smiling on him, the nice Israelite boy that had God's favor coming to him.  Perhaps he thought that what would show up next was a fun little glass of tastiness with a plastic umbrella on top.  Instead...a worm, and no more umbrella shade at all.  What Jonah didn't realize is that the Ninevite's story was over for the day.  They had repented and were now trusting in the Almighty for their salvation.  What Jonah also didn't realize is that his story was not over for the day.  God gave him a worm to show him just that.  Jonah needed a bit of destruction in his life--he needed a plant destined to be destroyed by a parasite so that he could be further drawn out of himself. 

Sometimes I need "a worm."  I need things taken from me so that I'm reminded that this story is not about my comfort but about God's glory and Kingdom establishment.  I think I deserve lovely shade plants because I'm one of the King's kids when really I need a worm to attack my little self-made crown.  I need this for the turning of my heart from a self-seeking, self motivation to a Christ exalting God motivation in my actions, words, and thoughts.

No comments: