God Motivation is the state wherein the Christian is fueled solely by God and toward God to the glory of God.
(more here)

Friday, December 5, 2008

God Motivation through Opposition

More than likely, you have experienced a season in life where it has felt like there were many who were setting themselves against you. Such times are ones of great restlessness where, regardless of just how bleak the situation actually is, there are enough negative details to keep you in an unsettled state. I had a time like this in my last year of full-time ministry. People were frustrated with me, I felt like I was being pinned as a selfish, unbiblical, unfit-for-ministry pastor, and trying to have reasonable conversation about it seemed impossible. I couldn't sleep, and in the midst of the night, everything seemed bleak. Having been in such a place, I can catch perhaps just a glimpse of what king David was going through when his rebellious son Absalom stole the hearts of the Israelites and forced his way onto the throne. In Psalm 3, we are given a window into his soul as he processed all that was going on during a restless night. But as we track with him through this chapter, we find courage to rise again and a lesson on what it looks like to have God motivation in the midst of great opposition.

We at first get to see the despair that David is feeling. O LORD, how many are my foes! Many are rising against me; many are saying of my soul, there is no salvation for him in God (Vv. 1-2). It isn't hard to guess just how desperate David is feeling, and if we understand some of the background, we know that there is great truth to what he is saying! Recorded in 2 Samuel is the account of David's son Absalom, a man described as handsome and charming, who would stand outside the palace intercepting men coming into David's presence to have him judge their cases. Greeting them warmly, he would listen to their issues and then exuberantly voice his desire to be judge in Israel. Then came the lie he fed to his father, feigning holiness as he requested to go away with a group of men to pray to the Lord in order to fulfill a vow. It was quickly revealed however that this was actually his time to rally all the men he had been winning over to stand against their rightful king. Now what people were saying of David probably discouraged him more than anything else. This man after God's own heart (Acts 13:22), a man whose worship of the Lord put him in a class of his own, was now hearing in his most vulnerable moment that God had abandoned him. What David held most dear (and rightly so) people were saying was no longer available to him. Others knew where to hit him to hurt him the most at a time when he would be the most susceptible to discouragement. It is not difficult to picture the aged warrior David kneeled next to his make-shift bed (having fled from his home) exhausted in body and greatly troubled in spirit.

But this place of despair was not where he stayed. As we read on, we see him reach down deep, grasping onto what he had for years known to be true. But You, O LORD, are a shield about me, my glory, and the lifter of my head. I cried aloud to the LORD, and He answered me from His holy hill (Vv. 2-3). This is the response of one who is God motivated in a time where all other motivations would be hopeless. This is a picture of what our souls should cry out in every season, but a lesson that we usually seem to learn best when in times of great distress. David saw God as his protector, his inner radiance when everything outside was shadows, and his strength with which to rise another day. These things he cried out to the LORD in desperate worship, and His Savior did not turn a deaf ear. Indeed when it would seem that there was no chance of peace, David recalls, I lay down and slept (V. 5a). How wonderful is the rest that comes after such anxiousness! How sweet the sleep that follows surrender! Giving up on his own strength, trusting in the strength of his King, David finds the slumber that he had probably longed for after many days. Hope had risen in the midst of the storm and was then sealed up in the peace that brought a great calm.

And then the mercies that are new every morning (Lamenations 3:22-23) met David as he awoke renewed. His opening thoughts he then records, I woke again, for the LORD sustained me. I will not be afraid of many thousands of people who have set themselves against me all around (Vv. 5b-6). His new life he saw as coming from his God, his new outlook fueled by the One who sustained him. The reality of the situation that David was in had not changed: His son Absalom was still leading a rebellion, people were still saying that there was no hope for him, and there was still a battle to fight. Yes, there was still a rough road ahead, this had not changed, but what had changed was David's outlook. Fear had been replaced with resoluteness. "I will not be afraid" he says. Although God certainly worked through the sleep that He gave to David, this kind of statement was born from more than just some good REM.

God was at the center of the revival David was experiencing. Arise, O LORD! Save me, O my God! For you strike all my enemies on the cheek; you break the teeth of the wicked! (V. 7). The Champion here was the One who would have the victory. One thing David does not do is thank the Lord for the good sleep that he recieved and then go forth in the day as if it is his to handle. With great confidence, he says, "Save me, O my God!" The temptation for us is to often act as if it is time for us to leave the Lord behind with our morning prayers and then try to ride the wave of new energy without God holding us up as the surfboard beneeth our feet. Only Jesus could surf barefooted.

Finally, David makes a declaration that every Christian would do well to echo. Salvation belongs to the LORD; Your blessing be on Your people! (V. 8). He had moved from despair to delight, from fear to new focus. He had found God motivation.

Lord, salvation belongs to You. Lord, please bless your people and watch over Your children in this world. My God, please be my motivation in times of hardship and gladness; keep me from distraction. Jesus, I hope in your justice that will one day do away with all unrighteousness. In You, I will not fear. Amen.

1 comment:

Nancy said...

Seth Dear,

As I read your blog, I was greatly moved to say a prayer for you! Life is full of disappointments in others (and often in ourselves). It brings to mind a poem I wrote intitled "Wirlwind". If you feel the urge to do so... go to my website and read it (again).

LOVE YOU!

PS: Tell Gen... Yes I was wrong, it's already the 7th and Marin is still hibernating.