God Motivation is the state wherein the Christian is fueled solely by God and toward God to the glory of God.
(more here)

Saturday, November 15, 2008

God Motivation through Change

Routine is helpful when it comes to having God motivation. Most events come into our lives on cue, we learn how to gear up for the more intense periods of activity, and we figure out how we need to space out our "fueling" times in order to be most prepared to best handle the regular challenges that come our way. Not so in seasons of great change. I am about to enter one of those seasons. Excited as I am for the new job I'll be entering into within the next few weeks (Lord willing), I am still faced with the reality that I have much to learn ahead of me. Yes, a significant part of that learning has to do with finding out how to best do my job, but really how to best use the time outside of the office is at least just as important. Part of the reason for the emphasis that I'm putting on the latter has to do with the fact that I'll be moving from a 2nd shift position to one that is 1st shift. But really, those details aren't essential information for the topic at hand. Bottom line: Things they are a changin' and I want to have a God motivated approach through the time of change. I need a model, a template, a pattern to follow; how about a Savior?

We know relatively little of Jesus' life before he entered into ministry at about the age of thirty (Luke 3:23), but we know his "job" was something quite different from the miraculous, Spirit-filled, teaching ministry most of us are familiar with. He was a carpenter just like his dad (Mark 6:3; Matthew 13:55). So what did Jesus do in His time of shifting from one place to another? I have this strange feeling I'm about to be very convicted.

Then Jesus came from Galilee to the Jordan to John, to be baptized by him. John would have prevented Him, saying, "I need to be baptized by you, and do you come to me?" But Jesus answered him, "Let it be so now, for thus it is fitting for us to fulfill all righteousness." Then he consented (Matthew 3:13-14). I've been baptized, so let's move on to step two. OK, not really. Jesus was doing something here beyond providing a basic example of us of immersion baptism. If you recall, right after he came up out of the water, the Holy Spirit descended and rested upon Him in the form of a dove, followed by God's voice of approval, "This is my beloved Son, with whom I am well pleased." Jesus was here standing before everyone as God's Servant carrying God's presence. He knew it was necessary to present Himself as One fully dedicated to the Father to be used by Him in whatever ways His Father instructed. Jesus didn't need to be baptized to show everyone that He was leaving behind a life of sin, (just as I don't need to be baptized again), but he was clearly declaring that in this move from one place in society to another, God was His motivation. He was seeking the Father's approval and would have His Spirit leading Him along. This then is where I know I likewise need to be.

Second, Jesus held on to the truth of the Scriptures in the midst of great temptation to abandon God motivation. Right after He was baptized we are told that the Holy Spirit led Him into the wilderness to be tempted by the devil. Here are His words as Satan tried to manipulate Him into a place of compromise: Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that comes form the mouth of God...You shall not put the Lord your God to the test...You shall worship the Lord your God and Him only shall you serve (Matthew 4:4, 7, 10). These are all quotations of the Old Testament Scriptures that Jesus knew and was ready to use. Satan was working hard to get Jesus to be willing to take the easy way out of a difficult circumstance in a transitional season where His integrity was on the line. But Jesus knew and used the truth. One of the things that I have been struggling with in just the last day or two is how essential some of the extra studying that I've been doing (by way of Bible courses online) really is. In other words, could I be using any of that time in better ways? Don't get me wrong--it's not that I have any kind of intention of slacking off spiritually as I ask this, but I do think that there is something inside me, however subtle, that wants a little more ME time. Looking at Jesus' example though, I think I have my answer. I'm pretty certain I'm weak enough to give into the temptations that Jesus did not yield to, even when I'm spending lots of time seeking to grow in the Lord through a variety of avenues. Elimination of even some of the peripheral ones probably is not what's needed.

Finally, just as he was stepping into His life of ministry, we are told Jesus came into Galilee, proclaiming the gospel of God...(Mark 1:14). Jesus did a lot of "stuff" after transitioning out of carpentry work: miracles, traveling, discipleship...saving the world. But right as he was getting started with all this, he made sure the people around Him knew the gospel. Maybe some of them already knew it, but I'm guessing He reminded them anyway and wasn't afraid to show His excitement about it. His ministry was wrapped up in the good news that He had come into the world to do something nobody else could do, actions that were of supreme, eternal value to helpless, sinful you and I. I have every reason to be a glad, gospel speaking, "about thirty" year old man as I come through this time of change, challenging others to enter into the joy of God motivation in all of life.

Lord God, please be my motivation in this season. Help me to know that I have been set apart unto You, having turned away from my sin. Give me an even greater love for your Word that I might know how to love You more and stand against even the most subtle temptations to sin against You. Please make me a gospel saturated person. Amen.

No comments: