God Motivation is the state wherein the Christian is fueled solely by God and toward God to the glory of God.
(more here)

Thursday, August 7, 2008

God Motivation in Evangelism

I'm often too comfortable to share the gospel with others. I tend to get along pretty well with most people, and many of the folks that I relate to on a regular basis are not Christians. I like to be liked by them, enjoy sharing little bits of life with them, and simply want them to know that I care for them in general. But I ultimately belong to Christ, not to them, and also not to myself. My life aim is (or needs to be) to know Him and make Him known to others all for the glory of His name. This would be living with God motivation.

Recently I have been burdened to pray in greater earnest for the non-Christians that I know, that God in His mercy would save them, that I might be united with them in Christ and so share fellowship with them forever. I want them to be saved so very much, which in and of itself is a supernatural work within me. Like I said, much of the time I just want to be comfortable in my relationships with people. But if my prayer is that God would save my friends, I must be fully ready to share the gospel with them. The Scriptures encouraged me in this today. 1 Thessalonians 1:4-5 says: For we know, brothers loved by God, that He has chosen you, because our gospel came to you not only in word, but also in power and in the Holy Spirit and with full conviction... Paul's missionary work was done with God motivation. He did not go about preaching the gospel to gain glory for himself, to practice his preaching and improve his style, or to personally take people from one lifestyle to a better one. And we see here that he didn't even see himself as responsible for ultimately saving people. He came to the Thessalonians with the gospel, out of obedience to Christ, and then saw it take root as his words were accompanied by power, the work of the Holy Spirit, and full conviction in the hearts of his audience. This proved something, and Paul doesn't say that it proved he was an effective missionary (even though we would conclude that by God's grace he was!). The fact that Paul's message was accompanied by these things proved that they were a chosen people, loved by God. This is the way that he says it if we read carefully. Paul knew that God had chosen them because of the God-evidencing things that his gospel was accompanied by.

You see, a God motivated evangelism is one in which we share the good news of Jesus Christ's perfect life, atoning death, burial, and resurrection, in hopes that God will make Himself known by accompanying this message with power, the Holy Spirit, and conviction. He has already lit the match of my life and will use my light to ignite His elect using the God-fuel of power, Holy Spirit, and conviction. There is wonderful, supernatural power in this that I should so want to experience! For even if I find in sharing the gospel that my flame has been brought to a cold, hard, empty stone on many occasions, I need not fear that I have been unsuccessful in faithfulness or personal God glorification.

Awesome God, please give me God motivation in evangelism, to be joyfully faithful to you in the sharing of the gospel, desiring the leading and prodding of your Holy Spirit that I and those I love might experience your power and come near to You.

No comments: